A guide to learning Dari/Farsi grammar and composition.





Present Tense


The basic subject-verb-object sequence of an English sentence would have to transform into a subject-object-verb structure to form a sentence in Dari not only in present, but also in all other tenses i.e. past, future, etc. 

Example:


I eat Bread = Subject+Verb+Object 

 من نان میخورم =  Subject+Object+Verb = I bread eat. = Man naan mekhoram 


Let’s look at a few other examples of a present tense sentence structure.


من کار میکنم.

Man kaar mekonam. = I work do. = I work (I do work.)


من خانه میایم.

Man khaana merawam. = I home go. I go home.


من کتاب میخوانم.

Man ketaab mekhaanam. = I book read. I read a book.


من آنجا میروم.

Man aanjaa merawam. = I there go. I go there.


من نامه مینویسم.

Man naama menawisam. = I letter write. I write a letter.  


من فیلم میبینم.

Man film mibinam. = I a movie see. I see a movie.


من موتر میرانم.

Man motar meraanam. = I a car drive. I drive a car.

The subject pronoun determined how the verb is conjugated. In the above example, verb conjugation corresponds to first person subject pronoun: I.

In this case, to conjugate a verb, a prefix and a suffix is added to the imperative form of the verb. For example:
کن = do, آی = come, خوان = read, رو = go, نویس = write, بین = see, ران = drive

To conjugate a verb in present tense, add the prefix می to the imperative form of the verb, and add a suffix to it that would corelate to the subject pronoun:

من       I  میروم (am going), میکنم (am doing), میگویم (am saying), میخورم (am eating), میخواهم (want/wanting)  
تو    You    میروی are (going) میکنی (doing) میگویی (saying) میخوری (eating) میخواهی (want/wanting)
شما  You (plural)   میروید are (going) میکنید (doing) میگویید (saying) میخورید (eating) میخواهید (want/wanting)
او    He/She  میرود  are (going) میکند (doing) میگوید (saying) میخورد (eating) میخواهد (want/wanting)
ما    We    میرویم are (going) میکنیم (doing) میگویی (saying) میخوریم (eating) میخواهیم (want/wanting)
آنها    They    میروند are (going) میکنند (doing) میگویند (saying) میخورند (eating) میخواهند (want/wanting)